Protect your hair against late summer sun
If you are lucky enough to be jetting off to warmer climes for some late summer sun, or have your fingers crossed for that much-anticipated Indian summer, then don’t be tempted to neglect your hair.
While the idea of a bronzed body and naturally sun-bleached tresses can sound attractive, damage from ultra-violet rays, salt water and swimming pool chemicals can leave your locks feeling parched and brittle.
Here are our top tips to protect your hair and scalp and keep them in tip top condition until the winter sets in:
- Take advantage of sunny weather and laid-back days near the shore by giving your hair a break from the day-to-day damage. Give the heated styling regime a holiday; leave your hair to dry naturally and adopt the tousled beach look, or experiment with fun up-dos such as plaits, bun or a simple ponytail. Just spritz with a protective spray such as Philip Kingsley Instant Beach texturising spray and embrace those beach waves.
- Don’t wash your hair every day. Too much hair washing can strip natural oils that protect hair. Choose a mild shampoo and don’t feel you have to wash too often. Just rinse the sand and chlorine out and let the natural oils do their work.
- Keep up the regular trims and hydrating treatments. Book in for a professional hair cut before you go away, then on your return. A trim every six weeks helps keep split ends at bay and makes hair look healthier and thicker.
- If you’re spending a lot of time in the swimming pool, protect yourself from the damaging effects of chlorine which can cause brittleness and discolouration. No-one wants their blonde tresses turning green! Embrace your inner synchronised swimmer and pick up a retro swimming hat to protect chemically-enhanced locks. Alternatively, Philip Kingsley’s Swimcap cream protects hair from the damaging effects of chlorine, salt water and UV rays. Originally created for the US Olympic synchronized swim team, Swimcap is a favourite amongst professional swimmers. The cult classic cream is water resistant to give hair maximum protection against discolouration and dryness.
- Protect your scalp. Watch your parting, especially if you have fine hair. Apply sun cream to any exposed scalp or cover up in style. Your scalp and hair will thank you for investing in a luxurious headscarf, an over-sized, glamorous sunhat or a big sun umbrella.
- Your hair will also thank you for some extra sun protection. Hair can burn just like skin when unprotected, and needs shielding from strong midday rays. When you’re not wearing your large-brimmed hat, try a sun protecting hair product such as Philip Kingsley Sun Shield hair mist, which is enriched with sunflower seed extract. Sun Shield guards against colour fade from sun exposure and diminishes damage and dryness caused by UV rays. What’s more it even boasts frizz control – invaluable in humid conditions!
- Drink lots of water as it’s important to stay hydrated in the sun, and water is great for keeping hair and body healthy.
- Already suffering sun damage? Don’t despair. If hair feels dry and brittle and lacks lustre, then there’s likely some damage already. Ask your hairdresser for advice on conditioning treatments and keep up the regular hair cuts. Philip Kingsley After Sun Scalp Mask calms, cools, soothes and conditions the scalp with chamomile extract and aloe vera. Better still, it can be used all year around to keep dry scalps healthy!
With these few simple tips, then your mane should be the least of your worries. Make the most of fun in the sun while you still can!